Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Garden


Finals are over, which means Andrew and I actually have a little free time! We celebrated our 1 year anniversary on Monday. Who would have thought it has been a year already!

The time off means that I could finally plant the garden. Andrew and I spent all afternoon Tuesday pulling weeds and planting seeds. It was so refreshing being outside in the dirt. Andrew and his big muscles were quite helpful in hoeing out trenches for the seeds :-) Today was the big day for all of my indoor plants to move out to their new home. They have been hankering to get out in the sun and stay there. I'm sure Andrew will miss watching me move them in and out of our bedroom each day to get their fill of time on the balcony and then me worrying that they'll get blown over in their little yogurt cups.

Our garden is complete with cucumbers, onions, potatoes, broccoli, beets, kohlrabi, spinach, tomatoes, all sorts of peppers, sugar peas, and sweet corn. Andrew thinks we'll have food coming out our ears, whereas I have a hard time believing anything will grow. It will be so exciting to harvest food from our own garden... I can hardly wait!

My strawberry roots never grew...I don't know if I did something wrong or if they were just bad roots. Andrew was wonderful, however, and bought me some strawberry plants and a strawberry jar! Hopefully we'll have bunches of strawberries in the fall :)

An update on my herbs... I think they are confused. They were growing like mad and then I decided they needed to be thinned out. I didn't want to kill the plants, however, so I transplanted them. The disturbance caused all of them to fall over, so now they're growing in odd directions, but they are still alive. It will be interesting to see how they turn out!

That's all the garden updates for now... I'll post more pictures when things start to come to life!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

wow, I'm totally jealous! Where did you find somewhere to plant a garden??

I look forward to seeing pictures of the plants! :)

Shantel said...

The apartment complex we live in has about 6 garden plots for the tenants to use on a first-come, first-serve basis... how awesome is that?!? Another reason I love where we live!

Danielle said...

I'm so jealous of your garden. I'm really sad that we don't get to have one this year.