Sunday, June 10, 2012

Strawberry Thief

My strawberry plants are finally two years old, which means I was looking forward to bright red gorgeous strawberries straight from the garden this year.  There had been a lot of blooms on my plants and I'd seen little tiny green strawberries starting to grow on a number of my plants.  I've gone out and checked on them a few times and had noticed some starting to turn red.  However, I started finding when I'd go out to check on them the next time, they would be gone.  I know I'm getting forgetful lately, but not that forgetful, I was certain there had been some that were nearly ripe.  I started thinking maybe something was making off with my berries.  When we got back from vacation we spotted a few bunnies in the yard, so I thought maybe they were sneaking in the yard when Savannah was inside... or perhaps birds... I thought possibly our dog, but dismissed the idea.  Well... today I caught the culprit red handed.  I was out picking some cilantro and had just finished admiring a nice red strawberry (the biggest I've seen yet - much better than the one pea sized strawberry I've been able to harvest so far).  I decided I would give it another day or two to plump up some more and get a little more red. I turned my back to get some more cilantro and when I looked again I saw a creature, very intentionally sniffing through my strawberry plants looking for ripe goods.  It then delicately plucked out my one ripe strawberry, gently took it into the grass, where this creature then quickly gobbled it up...  My poor, delicious looking, almost ripe strawberry was gone in mere moments.  Who is to blame?  Who else could it be but our little mischief maker herself...


Trouble, I tell you, pure trouble!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

So funny it was your pup.