Thursday, July 2, 2009

what it means to be a woman

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a series on Proverbs by Mark Driscoll, a pastor in Seattle, Washington. This series has shaken, challenged, and refreshed me all at the same time. I often have an ache in my heart as I ponder my purpose, my future, and all that I am told by society. As a woman at a liberal college I constantly feel the pressure to “make the most of myself and my opportunities.” I have a bright future and brilliant career ahead of me, right? What happens when my urge is to flush all that down the toilet and do something really inspiring with my future… like be a mom and a great wife to my amazing husband? How have we come so far as to think that inspiring to be a mother is a waste of a time? Sometimes I find myself being sucked into this horrendous lie that our culture has come to embrace. When people ask what I want to do when I graduate, I shy away from saying what is really in my heart. Partly because I am afraid of getting the.. “oh, that’s all you want to do?” response, and partly because I am afraid that being bold would interfere with possible opportunities that I may want to pursue before Andrew and I have children. As the weeks have gone on this summer, I have felt God putting the weight on my heart that I cannot be silent about this area of life that I am so passionate about. God designed us in a very unique and purposeful way and it breaks my heart to see people’s misconceptions and offenses when it comes to that perfect design. Thank you to all you mothers who have sacrificed or hindered your “careers” in order to be the light of Christ to your child/children. I am so encouraged by you!

1 comment:

~Sam said...

Well said. I struggled with this choice for too long and therefore sacrificed a couple years of being at home with my beloved children. I was so worried about fulfilling the opportunities that my education provided me and letting down people who hoped for so much for me that I didn't put my feelings first. I longed to be home with my kids and was surprised that when I finally made the decision, those that I feared would criticize me, were so HAPPY for me. I wish I could get back almost 3 years of my life that was so meaningless because it meant leaving my babies with someone that wasn't momma. If you ever want a good read that reassures me of the beauty of what I'm doing now, read Sally Clarkson's "The Mission of Motherhood"- I'm sure you'll love it.