Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Into Stuff

A few days ago, I was talking to someone I dearly love about Jesus. As we were talking, she told me a few times that she hadn't realized how into this stuff I am. It struck me in sort of a negative way because when I think "into stuff" I think religion or church traditions or even dark things like witchcraft or drugs. Being into stuff connotes being into something that is man-made, some grouping of ideas that you can take or leave depending on what suits you. I guess I don't see myself as being into stuff, but into Jesus. I'm not into religion. I'm not into denominations, church sects, or traditions. I'm into Jesus Christ. I'm into Him because He is the only one who has the power to save me, the power to redeem my sins, and the power to cleanse this wretched heart of mine. Out of my own free choice I've thwarted God, I've sinned in vile ways, I've defiled myself and other people. I've sinned against God and because of that, I deserve death, I deserve damnation, I deserve to pay the just penalty and spend eternity in hell. That's the truth and my conscience screams it at me.

I'm into Jesus because out of God's compassion for me, a vile, sinful person, my Father sent His Son to live on this earth, empowered by the Holy Spirit. He lived on this earth, was betrayed by men, was beaten, cursed, and hung on a shameful, cursed cross even though He never did anything wrong. He hung on a cross because He told everyone He was God and the only way to the Father. He made the claim that He was God which either makes Him a liar who deserves damnation just like me or it means that He was actually God and came to bring mankind the best news it had ever heard. He brought the news that He would die a painful death to take upon Himself our sins. He lead a perfect, blameless life in order to make the payment for our sins. He was the spotless lamb that was slaughtered in our place so that we could be made pure, so that we could have communion with God, so that we could spend eternity in the presence of a holy and righteous God. We deserved wrath because God is just and we violated Him. But God is compassionate and merciful and turned His wrath from us to Jesus so that those who have faith in His Son could have their sins forgiven because of Christ's spilled blood.

I'm into Jesus because He triumphed over Satan, sin, and death and rose from the grave victoriously so that I do not worship a dead God, but one who is alive, living, and breathing. I worship a triumphant God who one day will ride to earth on a white horse, speaking the Word of God, with the title "Lord of Lords and King of Kings" tattooed down His thigh. He will come to earth to bring God's wrath on those who have not trusted and worshiped the one true God, and to bring salvation and redemption to those who have.

I'm into Jesus because He freed me from my slavery to Satan and death and breathed new life into my dead heart. He put in me the Holy Spirit to teach me and guide me in His truths. He gave me a heart capable of loving a God that I despised and the ability to despise all the sin that I used to love. I'm into Jesus because He died for me while I still hated Him and rejected Him. I'm into Jesus because He saved me from myself and gave me the most precious gift possible: He gave me His blood in exchange for my sin. I'm into Jesus because He shed His blood for my friends and my family and for anyone who might come upon these words. I'm into Jesus because He will give the gift of His blood in exchange for your sin even though you've done nothing good to deserve it... trust Him as your Lord and Savior.

Plain and simple, I'm into Jesus Christ and I guess if that means I'm "into stuff," I'll take that label and wear it with honor and humble gratitude, it's the best claim I can make about myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As your lowly earthly father, let me offer words you can look forward to and anticipate in the future from your Heavenly Father, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" I so adore your faith! I love you, Dad