Monday, November 10, 2008

Weddings, holidays, and guns

So, Andrew and I will be the first to admit that we've been terrible about updating our blog lately. Life has been busy... and I didn't figure anyone would want to read updates about what I've been learning in school. Andrew's sister, Anna, got married in October so that was a big event. I'll have to post a few pictures when we get some. She was a beautiful bride and the weather was AMAZING!

I don't know about everyone else, but this cold weather has made me quite excited about the holidays. Although I despise the cold weather, I love Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years... all the great holidays that come with this time of year. Andrew and I started Christmas shopping a few weeks ago and have even listened to some Christmas music here and there. What could be better than seeing family, giving gifts, and have NO homework or tests!!

And of course, a blog post on our blog wouldn't be complete without some reference to guns or plants... so I'll give you a little of both. Everything in the garden is dead. We pulled up all the fencing around it a few weekends ago and packed it in the garage. It was sad to see all the plants brown and lifeless, but I guess it makes me cherish springtime when everything comes back to life. Unfortunately, the garden was a bit of a flop this year, but I did manage to get some jars of salsa out of the deal. I still haven't figured out if I did something wrong or if it was just bad, wet weather. For now, I think I'll choose to believe it was the latter of the two! I'm hoping to try again next year.

Now, on to guns... my husband has had quite an impact on me. For a long while I would get really annoyed when Andrew would sit at home reading posts on gun sites all night or when he would sit watching video after video on youtube of people shooting guns... I just didn't get it. But, I decided to start asking questions and let Andrew teach me about this hobby of his. To my surprise, it has been very fascinating. We spent over an hour this weekend talking about shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers and their differences. I'm learning about gauges and calibers and which guns should be used in different circumstances. For instance, what gun would be used to go rabbit hunting? Well, you would use a rifle because it can shoot accurately at a distance, yet it wouldn't leave a big hole so the meat wouldn't be damaged as much. Pretty impressive, huh? Andrew will be proud! I've even become interested in getting my own little handgun... that way Andrew and I can go target shooting together and I can have a gun to lay claim to! What has he done to me? It's amazing how marriage can change a person :)

3 comments:

Danielle said...

We were beginning to think that you had abandoned your blog. It's nice to hear what's been going on.

Your brother is going to be jealous if you get a gun before him.

Caitlin said...

I love it. And it's about time! I think you can get to know people better through blogs. There are just things that people will write that they wouldn't take the time to say if they were talking to your face. And I like that.

P.S. I can't see you target shooting. But I think if I did it would make me smile. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

I still have yet to shoot my new gun, can't seem to find the time or the daylight. Maybe when you guys are back next it will get some target practice.